More slow-mo Poseidon in the tub. #catsofinstagram #xp

http://j.mp/2qfedNg via IFTTT

Wednesday 31 January 2007

Ow! Ow! Ow! Ow! Ow! Ow!

So last night at about 23:30 I had this sore feeling in my lower tummy. At first I thought it was just how my laptop was sitting on me and poking into my abdomen. If only.

The pain quickly became excruciating, as if I were being stabbed in back in the kidney area, and the most unbearable spikes the knife being twisted. So around 01:30, with no end in site and the brief respites really only five to ten minutes of slightly less excruciatingness, I called a cab to haul my butt downtown to Cambridge Memorial Hospital.

To cut a long story short, after several shots of morphine and a CT scan of my lower torso, I found out that I have a nice 2.9mm kidney stone working it's way from my right kidney, down the ureter and into the bladder. According to both emerg docs (I was there from about 01:45 to 10:15, across two shifts) and the nurses, that is the painful part.

Thank God! I am no stranger to pain, having had morphine a few times in the past for severe abdominal distress, ultimately related to the intussusception I suffered at age ten. This, however, has got to be the absolute worst physical pain I have ever experienced.

So just before I was discharged they gave me a final shot of morphine, a scrip a whole bunch of medications and the doctor showed me the picture series of my CT. And now I am going to bed since I have been up for a little over 27 hours. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment