More slow-mo Poseidon in the tub. #catsofinstagram #xp

http://j.mp/2qfedNg via IFTTT

Saturday 19 January 2008

Walking the cat?

From Edmund

When my friend Jennifer called earlier this afternoon and asked if I wanted to go to the mall, I jumped at the chance because I had been practicing from my MCSE certs since about 7:00am — my poor eyes were going buggy!

At the mall, we stopping at the pet store since Jenn had just gotten a hamster for their kids a couple of weeks ago. I finally got a new collar for Edmund, my cat. Edmund has long since grow out of the collar he came with as a kitten, a little over 2 years ago, and the only time I tried to get hi a new one, it was too small. That actually surprised me, because is not a big cat.

Anyways, Jenn found this nice–sized leash which snaps open with about a pound less force than what Edmund weighs. That way, if (when) he escapes again, if the collar gets caught on something his struggling with snap it open and he won't choke himself. And that's a good thing.

I also got a H–type harness for Edmund and a leash so that I can take him for a walk now and again. First I took him out out into the apartment hall, but he seemed sorta nervous and maybe even a little scared out there. He crouched down, crawled around on his belly and wouldn't leave the door. As soon as I opened it he ran straight back into my apartment. I thought maybe he'd prefer to go outside, so I bundled up and took Edmund out on to my patio. Once a gain he crouched down and crawled along on his tummy. He didn't stay right next to the patio doors, but neither did he want to go off the concrete pad that is my patio — about half a metre away. I even picked him up a couple of times and carried him down to the road, but both times he ran right back to the patio.

I did some web–surfing, and apparently rather than taking him outside right away, I should have gotten Edmund used to the harness somewhat more slowly. First let him wear just the harness for an hour or so every day for a few days, giving him a treat each time I put it on him. Then attach the leash and follow him around inside with it slack. Then a few days of just sitting out on the patio until he finally gets the urge to go exploring.

I'd never expect a cat to behave like a dog (heaven forfend!), but I had thought that Edmund would have been ecstatic at the thought of going Outside. After all, if he's not sleeping in my lap, on the back of my chair propped against my shoulders or laying beside me on the bed, he's sitting at the patio doors wondering what this invisible substance is that prevents his escape.

1 comment: