More slow-mo Poseidon in the tub. #catsofinstagram #xp

http://j.mp/2qfedNg via IFTTT

Tuesday 11 December 2007

School and Skull Fractures

Back in June I started upgrading my computer cetifications at triOS College in downtown Kitchener. A+, MCSE and the like.

One thing I wish I had done was keep track of stupid questions my classmates have asked — they would have made great blog-material. At the very least, blogging it all would have made banging my head on the desk every day worth something.

The current course is 70-298, "Designing and Implementing Security for a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Network" and by now all people in my class have take at least one of the A+ courses a well as, Network+, 70-270 (Windows XP) and five other Windows Server 2003 courses. But today, as we were going over the mini-project from yesterday setting up IPSEC policies and filters (firewall stuff, deciding what gets through, what is encrypted, what is clear, etc...). Of the various settings we had to do in the filters was make sure that Windows File Sharing traffic was encrypted and FTP traffic was blocked.

As the instructor was going through creating the filters, one of my classmates asked “What is the difference between FTP and File Sharing? Aren't they the same thing?” After six months, you'd think that he'd know the difference by now.

No comments:

Post a Comment